It's been a long, challenging journey to parenthood for us. David and I started trying to get pregnant shortly after getting married June 1, 2007. I went off the pill in July, and we started actively trying in August.
Over the next 3 years, we've both had a couple surgeries that slowed things down. We both lost weight using Weight Watchers. I spent 6 months in physical therapy for a knee issue. On the fertility front, we ran all the tests and figured out what we needed to do.
We spent 5 months with my OB using Clomid and a procedure called an IUI. My term for this is "turkey baster." It's a little more scientific than that, but that's basically what it is. After month 5, we decided to go back to the specialist that had run the tests... I allowed myself to be a pin cushion for 10 days, and we did injectible hormones. Every morning, David gave me a shot in my butt. Every 3 days, I had to have an ultrasound and more blood work. And then we tried the IUI one more time... The specialist also put me on Progesterone, which helps the quality of my uterine lining. Luckily, she didn't have me do the shots of oil, but rather than suppository. Two times a day, I have to insert the pill that will help prevent miscarriage!
September 14th was my test date. I woke up early and took the test. At first, I didn't see the 2nd line. I went and texted David, who was working, and told him it didn't work again. Something told me to look again, and when I went back to the bathroom, I saw the line!
It was faint, but it was there! In the pic, it almost looks like a grey shadow. But in the bedroom light, it was pink and definitely there!
I rushed to the specialist's clinic for blood work. They changed up my prenatal to a prescription and added extra folic acid. When they called me later that morning with my blood work, I KNEW IT WAS REAL! My first beta, at 14 days after the procedure, was 72! For reference, anything above 5 is considered "pregnant." My progesterone level was also amazing -- 50!
We told our families and our closest friends that day. We took a couple weeks to get to extended family, coworkers, and other "important people." Saturday was my second blood test and it came back at 136, again very good increase!!!
Our first ultrasound - which I referred to as a head count - was scheduled for September 28th. David had to work the night before, so we met at the clinic at 7:00 am. More blood work, and then we got to meet our little squishy for the first time. We saw all the important parts and pieces -- gestational sac, yolk sac, fetal pole... and HEART BEAT! If I moved at all (even my head a tiny bit), we'd lose the angle, so we couldn't get a count. But the tech said it looked awesome.
Because we are with the specialist, we get an ultrasound every 2 weeks until I'm 12 weeks pregnant. Then, I will be released to my OB. I've already called him and told him I'm pregnant - I could hear his nurse tear up when I told her the news!
So, there ya have it! We are pregnant and on cloud 9! My goal is to update with weekly belly pics (even though I'm not showing yet), current ultrasound pictures, and what's going on with my body!

Congratulations and best wishes! I can't wait to hear about your pregnancy updates!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I've marked this as a favorite and look forward to hearing all about your pregnancy!
ReplyDelete